Thursday, November 15, 2012

NALIS's Lifetime Literary Awards - 50 years of Literature

Tonight I was invited to attend the Lifetime Literary Awards - 50 years of Literature in commemoration of Trinidad & Tobago's 50th Independence. It's remarkable the quantum of talent we have abound in this small but mighty twin-island Republic. I feel very proud to be Trinbagonian. The event was hosted by NALIS at the Central Bank Auditorium and many authors (some posthumously) were honoured for their contribution to the literary canon locally, regionally and internationally. Just to mention a few were Michael Anthony, C.L.R. James, Earl Lovelace, Willi Chen, Dr. Elizabeth Nunez, Marlene Nourbese Phillp, Samuel Selvon and John Stewart. Their diverse background not only on the home front but also internationally was impressive to say the least.

Thank you for paving the way for writers and authors everywhere. We salute you! I plan to catch up on my reading with the great works of these authors very soon! It would be remiss of me if I did not mention the panist Johann Chuckaree who provided the entertainment with his marvelous musical interlude on our national instrument. You made that steel pan sound sweet!

I couldn't help but steal a Kodak Moment with Mr. Earl Lovelace!! Your speech was an inspiration to me! Very nice meeting you:)

Happy Reading!!
 
Peace & ♥

1 comment:

  1. I also got to meet Former First Lady Mrs. Zalayhar Hassanali!!
    Great night!

    ReplyDelete